Monday, August 11, 2008

Success at Columbia

Attending Bridge I've learned so much about Columbia. Before I got here I thought it was going to be a place where people were very critical of your work. I thought that I was going to feel less in what I love to do in order to push myself further. I thought I was going to be intimidated by artists and poets who have been in the arts since childhood. I was completely wrong! This to me is like a community I can connect to. I feel like I can express myself the best way I know how, and I feel like the staff really cares about you. I like how the teachers are very diverse in personality and teaching styles. Being here is just really helping me embrace college life and looking forward to learning new things. I've been introduced to so much here and I'd like for that to continue during my time here in Columbia.

As far as college courses, I see that we have to write a lot! There is just so much writing, which is something I like to do, but goodness! I mean we write and think and analyze until we reach the core. I see how much we are pushed to go beyond the surface, and how we can be flexible with our writings and ideas. When I went to orientation to place my schedule, I was a little disappointed I got stuck with two night classes because I'm not that comfortable with the city, but it's an experience I think will help me overcome that discomfort. I believe everything happens for a reason, so I will be okay during those times. Those times will work out! But yeah...back to the writing, I definitely have a reading assignment and 500 word essay due when I begin school for journalism! At least I am prepared thanks to Bridge program on how to go about the work. I should have known I would get a book that looks similar to a dictionary!

Overall I do feel like I'm moving into the transition from high school to college student. I'm maturing as a young lady, and I'm expanding my thoughts as a writer. To choose success I will have to remain focused on what it is I'm here for. I will more than likely get involved with different school activities, and probably asks for help when I need it. I will also need to build a good support system with people who are here to achieve the same goals as me. To get that degree!!! No one besides myself can make it happen for me. I know that I have to want this more than anything, plus my Ma and family is counting on me. I'm not too worried about succeeding here at Columbia, this place is meant for me.

No comments: