Monday, July 21, 2008

Introduction to Charlie Gammill

Hello my name is Charlie Gammill and i come from Elmhurst, Illinois. There isn't all that much about me other than the fact that I love music and art. I am here at the Bridge program because I have not attended school for over a year, although I graduated from York High School in 2006.
I am here because after briefly attending College of Dupage, I realized that what I was looking for in an education was not something the school could offer, for there was almost no social atmosphere. Although this comes off as an issue not related to education, I strongly believe that a person is influenced by their environment, so if there is no social atmosphere, it effects how one is willing to learn and creates a rather drab outlook on the learning process. At Columbia, however, I believe that there are many factors that contribute to a better experience overall, the most obvious factor being the location. Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world, and offers so much for a person, especially a young adult in the prime of their life. With all the people, museums, architecture and history, it can be overwhelming to realize how much this city has to offer, which is why going to school here gives one an opportunity to exceed the normal standards of education, and instead gain something much more.
While I am here, I hope to gain all of the knowledge that is essential in honing the skills that I need to achieve my standard of success. My philosophy is based on the fact that one day I am going to die, and the universe will continue without me. Knowing this, I realize that I am in a situation where I have a rare opportunity to pursue whatever I want, so I cannot let my life go to waste.

No comments: