Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Poverty in todays day and age...







When you look at the man in this picture what do you see? Just another bumb on the street? or a man who has fallen down and has lost everything? Whenever I would see a man like you see to the left on the streets I saw a bumb. I saw a person that has no respect for life or others. I thought they were lazy people who needed to get off there butts and get a job.

Growing up where I lived I never really was exposed to the "second America" as they call it in the book "Our America" I mean I wasn't totally naive about the topic. I knew there were homeless people on the street and I thought they were bad people. I had the image of a homeless person as a mean vindictive person that steals, lies and cheats to get ahead in life.

As I matured in life I started to get exposed to all different lifestyles and cultures. As I ventured out of my small town I soon learned that all homeless people are not the same. I had always believed that people choose to be homeless, they choose not to have a job and that they choose not to be apart of society. But I soon realized that a lot of homeless people don't choose to be homeless. Some of these people got laid off from there work, got in a serious injury and had no insurance to pay the medical bills, or they could be old and have no one to take care of them. That totally changed my outlook on homeless people.

I was thinking and I realized that people in poverty are well off than most of the poverty stricken people in the world today. America is the Richest most powerful country in the world. We have resources and programs to help these people. We have welfare, linkcard and other resources.
Shaun Kimbrow






No comments: